Archive of the Department of Geography
The archive of the Geography Department preserves and catalogues historic documents concerning the history of the department and its members. For the most part these consist of unpublished materials such as letters, diaries or photographs.
The largest collections in the archive are the (partial) estates of the geographers and former heads of department Alfred Philippson and Carl Troll. The catalogues of these papers can be accessed online. The archive also has documents relating to Hans Günther Gewehr, Ernst Schmidt-Kraepelin (in particular on aerial photographs) and Rudolf Stickel. Some material arising from departmental business is also preserved, e.g. general correspondence 1957-1975, course material and Diplom examination regulations.
The archive is located in the basement of the library.
The archive, located in the stacks of the Geography Department library, was created from papers formerly stored at several locations when the Department moved into Meckenheimer Allee 166 ("Old Chemistry Building").
Part of the archive consists of the augmented papers (partial) of A. Philippson (1864-1953). The rest of the collection is made up of the private, business and scientific papers of C. Troll (1899-1975) and numerous partial collections of papers from personalities such as A. Rühl, R. Stickel, F. v. Richthofen, K. Wien, R. Schottenloher, P. Fickeler and E. Schmidt-Kraepeli.
The use of the archive in the Geography Department is subject to the usual conditions of archival use. Because the archival material is stored in the stacks of the Library and is not on open access, material may only be consulted by prior appointment.