The Department of Geography follows the same guiding principle as the University does: Tradition and Modernity. Whereas our Department is housed in a building that is a historical and protected monument, our technical equipment and research environment is absolutely state-of- the- art. This makes our Department to one of Germany's leading institutes for the education of young geographers.
For such an interdisciplinary degree programme such as Geography, a wide choice of courses is fundamental. Therefore, we offer our students an eclectic range of teaching based on the ongoing research at our Department. Furthermore, we co-operate with several partners from politics and economy, such as, the United Nations, the Federal Office of Civil Protection and Disaster Assistance, the Federal Agency for Nature Conversation, and professionals from real estate and insurance industries.
The following research fields are represented at our Department:
- Climatology and Landscape Ecology
- Hydrology and Water Resources Management
- Development Geography
- Regional Planning and Development
- Spatial Socioeconomics
- Historical Geography
- Remote Sensing and GIS
Thus, we are able to offer the following degree programmes:
- Bachelor of Sc. in Geography
- Master of Sc. in Geography
- Master of Sc. in Geography of Environmental Risks and Human Security (Joint Master with UNU)
- Master of Sc. in Geography "Nature protection and landscape ecology"
- Master of Disaster Prevention and Management in cooperation with the Federal Office of Civil Protection and Disaster Assistance (postgraduate professional education)
- Master of Ed. Geography